The dreaded silverlight z-index issue

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Awesome, I am now running into a problem similar to the one I solved before. Basically, I altered the z-index of that announcements web part so that the drop-down list will go over anything it drops onto. That solution worked... until I replaced the out-of-box slide show with a silverlight one to make the site less stressful on client CPUs. The problem is, that silverlight slide show is layered on top of everything else, like so:

I can't seem to add a z-index to the silverlight, so I figured, maybe I could just move that drop-down over like, 50 pixels. I could throw a margin into the CSS and that would be that. The problem is, both the dropdown list and the announcement ticker thing have set widths of about 1000px, which is set inline, and I have no way to change it. I know the names of all of the css classes in that web part, and I have access to the stylesheet it uses, so I can change anything that isn't in-line. What can I do?

It seems that I could also somehow make the silverlight part not float above the page with something like <paramname="windowless" value="true">.  However, that just applies to embedded silverlight players. This is a web part I installed on the farm. Is there a way I could put that in-line so the slide show follows it?

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Did you manage to fix this problem? I'm having the same thing.

-Jake